In January 1920 the Oxford and Cambride Golfing Society played the first President's Putter, which became the biggest event in the Rye calendar. Well known names such as Darwin, Montmorency, Holderness, Tolley, Wethered, Crawley and Micklem, amongst others, appeared regularly in the twenties and thirties.
By 1932 play on the holes across the Camber road became too dangerous because of increased traffic and replanning of the course was necessary. T. Simpson did the design and the new Head Greenkeeper, Frank Arnold, did the work. Further major alterations were proposed in 1938, this time by Sir Guy Campbell in conjunction with Arnold who, not only implemented the changes, but made other improvements which turned Rye into one of the finest winter courses in England. Arnold retired at the age of 80 in 1973 having trained his successor, Trevor Ockenden, who remained in post until 2006. Rye has had only three Head Greenkeepers in nearly 100 years.
In 1938 the Artisans' Club was offered a permanent home at Rye and remains in happy relationship with the parent Club. Many Artisans have been good golfers but none more so than W.G. 'Blower' Pierce. He started as a caddy, survived five years as a POW, joined the green staff and, for a decade, dominated Artisan and Sussex golf.