1st hole (378 yards), 1932-33, with the green situated on the flat ground beside and below the current 4th green
Tee to the 2nd hole (480 yards), 1897
J. Lonie, Professional at Rye G.C. (1899-1904) approaching the green to the 10th hole (230 yards), 1904.
3rd hole (470 yards), a dog-leg left, with figures on the green on other side of the road to the Coastguard Cottages.
David Lloyd George, 1st Earl Lloyd-George of Dwfor, O.M., P.C. (1863-1945), Prime Minister of the U.K. (1916-1922), on the tee to the old 17th hole (270 yards), ca. 1910.
Arthur James Balfour, 1st Earl of Balfour, K.G., O.M., P.C. (1848-1930), Prime Minister of the U.K. (1902-05), on the tee to the original 15th hole (175 yards), before 1907. Balfour became a member of Rye G.C. in 1895 just one year after it opened for play.
15th hole [either 175 yards (1894) or 429 yards (1907-32)], with Michael Scott and R.E. Walker on the same green as today’s 15th hole, pre-1914.
The old 6th hole (385 yards), with golfer and caddy on the tee (up ‘Jacob’s Ladder’), one of three holes on land beyond the Coastguard Cottages.
The old 4th hole (180 yards), golfers and caddies on the green, one of three holes on land beyond Coastguard Cottages. In the distance are golfers near the 5th green approached from a tee to the left, on the other side of the road.
The old 7th hole (520 yards), with a tee behind and between Coastguard Cottages and the current 4th tee, and a dog-leg via the current 3rd fairway to a green near the current 4th green. Cyril Tolley (?) playing his approach to the green, 1920s.
9th hole (340 yards), with tee close to current ladies’ tee, over dunes to the current practise green on the other side of the road, 1922.
9th hole (340 yards), with Ladies’ Clubhouse visible in the distance between the gentleman and two ladies, 1920s.
9th hole (315 yards), with Ladies Clubhouse, 1933.
2nd hole (480 yards), which ran along the edge of the track (later a road), with golfers, caddies and spectator on the green situated about 2/3 of the way down the left edge of the current 3rd fairway, pre-1914.
16th hole (410 yards), with a golfer on the old lower tee situated at the bank between the current 15th green and 18th fairway.
The Golf Links tram station, ca. 1920. Trams ran from 1895-1939 and the building for the Golf Links station can still be seen close to the Rother to the right of the current 12 green and 13th fairway.
The old, short and very short-lived 14th hole (150 yards) with J.E. Palmer Tomkinson on the tee which was sited between the current 13th green and 15th tee looking to a green on the other side of the current 9th fairway, 1920s.
The Clubhouse and Ladies’ Clubhouse viewed from the current 15th tee, 1933.
16th hole (410 yards), with four golfers and a caddy on the green which remains in the same place today, beyond can be seen Tunbridge Cottage, Squatters Right and Gorse Cottage, 1922.
The old 17th hole (270 yards) with Bernard Darwin (1876-1861), celebrated amateur golfer and twice Captain of Rye (1906 and 1956), playing an approach to the green. The players in the background are on the current 11th fairway, pre-1914.
The old 17th hole (270 yards) with J. Lonie, professional at Rye G.C. (1899-1904) approaching the green from Colt’s Nose bunker
The old 17th hole (270 yards) with golfers and caddies on the green, situated on the current 10th fairway, the old 18th tee and bunker beyond, 1920s.
The old 18th hole (380 yards) with David Lloyd George trapped in the bunker, which was abandoned in 1932 and situated in the large holllow to the left of the current 18th fairway, 1920s.